Friday, March 5, 2010

Food Friday

Today ya'll get a special treat!!  I'll be giving some shopping and coupon suggestions  and telling you about a recipe or two!

First, I went grocery shopping yesterday and my new thing is seeing how much money I can save with our grocery shopping.   Brandon and I both get paid bi-weekly and so we go grocery shopping on the Thursday that we get paid.  Well yesterday I got my coupons together and looked through the sales papers and headed out to go do some shopping.  The coupons the past few weeks haven't been that good... or what we need so I don't have too many thoughts on coupons this week, but Publix is having a buy one get one sale and it is great!!!

I started my shopping adventure at Publix yesterday and usually Publix is pretty expensive but yesterday it paid off!!  I have checked prices at Wal-Mart for stuff we use often and if I can't get it cheaper elsewhere I get it at Wal-Mart.  So I go into Publix with my list, prices from Wal-Mart, and a buggy (or shopping cart if your not in the south) 

I ended up saving $36 dollars on my trip and only spent somewhere around $40  I was very excited!!!  Here are some of the deals that I liked and maybe you might like them too!

Buy One Get One Free

* Red Baron Frozen Pizza
*Quaker Chewy Granola Bars  most of these are only 90 to 100 calories per bar... good for a snack
*Quaker Instant Oatmeal
*Aunt Jemima Syrup  they also had the lite syrup for those watching their waist
*Dole 4 pack fruit cups  they had a wide variety and these are good to add to lunchs
*Crystal Light Packs  these are the ones that let you make like 10 or 12 quarts
*Weight Watchers Ice Cream  very good for sweet tooth and if you count points

They also had buy 10 dannon light and fit yogurts for $4 and if you go to coupons.com there is a coupon for this yogurt buy at least 6 and get $ 0.75 off   so basically you get 10 yogurts for $3.25  not bad!  They have a lot of flavors too... Brandon and I like to put the strawberry and strawberry/banana yogurt in our smooties!

Publix also has pillsbury rolls and crescent rolls on sale 3 for $5 it says 8 to 13.9 oz cans assorted varities.
Krogers has the same rolls on sale 4 for $5 I'm not sure what sizes... when I went by Kroger yesterday I just got the small ones because it's usually just Brandon and me.  Not sure which is better deal if Kroger only has small sizes and Publix has larger but it's out there.   There is also a coupon if you go to pillsbury.com and sign up for their website!

Ok. enough about shopping  now on to food and cooking!!!

Here is a different take on a boxed dinner.

Get the chicken helper fettucini alfredo and make it as directed on the box but instead of adding chicken get the frozen shrimp at the store (we get the jumbo ones...because they shrink up)  the ones that are pre cooked, shelled, and de-veined... unless you like doing all the work... and just thaw some throw them in a few minutes before the fettucini is done and wa-la  you now have shrimp fettucini alfedo.

We got sick of chicken all the time and it's so hard to find an alfredo sauce that is good and we didn't have the stuff to make our own so this is what we came up with and it was delicious!!!  We made green beans for veggies and had a great dinner!


Now here is an actual recipe that I have found from http://www.allrecipes.com/ 

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Yummy-Honey-Chicken-Kabobs/Detail.aspx

 It is less than 200 calories per serving which is great!!!  Be careful with the soy sauce, make sure you use lite sauce and if you can substitute some that is best!

Ingredients


1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup  lite soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
2 cloves garlic
5 small onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
2 red bell peppers, cut into 2 inch pieces
skewers

Directions

In a large bowl, whisk together oil, honey, soy sauce, and pepper. Before adding chicken, reserve a small amount of marinade to brush onto kabobs while cooking. Place the chicken, garlic, onions and peppers in the bowl, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours (the longer the better).

Preheat the grill for high heat.

Drain marinade from the chicken and vegetables, and discard marinade. Thread chicken and vegetables alternately onto the skewers.

Lightly oil the grill grate. Place the skewers on the grill. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken juices run clear. Turn and brush with reserved marinade frequently.


I like to add pineapple to my skewers
You can change up the marinade how you like
Works well with a baked potatoe or brown rice

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment